Resources for Students
L4 Diploma in Business and Management Studies
Unit 1: Provide Leadership and Direction for own area of Responsibility
• John Adair (2002), 100 Greatest Ideas for Effective Leadership and Management, Capstone
• John P. Kotter (1999), A force for change, the difference between leadership and management, The Free Press; 1st Edition edition
• Jo Owen (2009), How to lead: what you actually need to do manage, lead and succeed, Prentice Hall 2nd edition.
Unit 2 Business Management and Administration
• G Whitehead & G Whitehall,(2005) Business Management & Administration, Institute of Commercial Management
• R C Appleby, (1994),Modern Business Administration, Pitman.
• M Buckley,(1994), The Structure of Business, Pitman
Unit 3 Support the purpose and values of an organisation
• Richard Barrett (2006), Building a Values-Driven Organization: A Whole System Approach to Cultural Transformation, Butterworth-Heinemann; 1 edition
• Richard Barett (2011), The New Leadership Paradigim, Lulu com.
• Robert Kegan (1998), In over our heads, the mental demands of modern living, Harvard University Press
Unit 4 Aspect of Contract and Negligence for Business
• P S Atiyah (1995), Introduction to the Law of Contract, Clarendon Press.
• Beale, Bishop and Furmston (2001), Contract — Cases and Materials, Butterworth.
• Cheshire, Fifoot and Furmston(2001), Law of Contract, Butterworth, October.
• J Cooke (1997), Law of Tort, Prentice Hall.
• Elliott and Quinn (2002), Contract Law, Longman.
• Elliot and Quinn (1997), Tort Law, Longman.
• Harvey and Marston (2004), Cases and Commentary on TORT, Prentice Hall, 5th edition.
• J Hodgson and J Lewthwaite (2001), Law of Torts, Blackstone.
• M Jones (2002), Textbook on Torts, Oxford University.
• A Pannett (1997), Law of Torts, Prentice Hall.
• G Treitel (2003), Law of Contract, (Sweet & Maxwell.
• M Young (1997), Cases and Commentary in Contract Law, Prentice Hall.
Unit 7: Marketing Principles
• Adcock D et al, (2001), Marketing Principles and Practice 4th Edition, Pitman Publishing.
• Brassington F and Pettitt S (2003), Principles of Marketing 3rd Edition, FT/Prentice Hall.
• Jobber D (2001), Principlesand Practice of Marketing 3rd Edition, McGraw Hill.
• Kotler P et al (2001), Principlesof Marketing 3rd European Edition, FT/Prentice Hall.
• Kotler P and Keller k (2011) Marketing Management 13th edition, Prentice Hall.
Unit 13 Financial Accounting and Reporting
• D Cox and D Street (2001), Financial Statements Tutorial, Osborne Books.
• J R Dyson (2010), Accounting for Non-Accounting Students 8th edition, FT Prentice Hall.
• M Jones,(2006), Accounting, John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
• Atrill P and Mclancy E, (2010), Accounting and Finance for non-specialist with my Accounting Lab, Prentice Hall
Unit 14 Human Resource Management
• M Armstrong (2001), A Handbook of Human Resource Practice, Kogan Page.
• BPP (1997), Business Basics: Human Resource Management 2nd Edition, BPP Publishing, London,
• M Corbridge and S Pilbeam (1998), Employment Resourcing, FT Prentice Hall, 1998.
• R Dransfield , S Howkins , F Hudson and W Davies W (1996), Human Resource Management for Higher Awards ,Heinemann.
• M Foot and C Hook, (2002), Introducing Human Resource Management 3rd Edition, FT Prentice
• Hall, Harlow.
• D Torrington, L Hall and S Taylor (2002), Human Resource Management 5th Edition, FT Prentice Hall, Harlow.
L5 Diploma in Business and Management Studies
Unit 1 Business Strategy
• M Coulter M (2001), Strategic Management, Prentice Hall, 2001 2nd Edition G Johnson and K Scholes (2002), Exploring Corporate Strategy, Prentice Hall. R Lynch (199), Corporate Strategy, Prentice Hall, 1999
• J L Thompson (2001), Understanding Corporate Strategy, Thomson Learning,
Unit 2 Principles of Management and Leadership
• John Adair (2002), 100 Greatest Ideas for Effective Leadership and Management, Capstone.
• Elearn (2008), Leading Teams, revised edition, Pergamon Flexible Learning.
Unit 3 Organisational Behaviour
• David Buchanan and Andrej Huczynski (2000), Organisational Behaviour: An Introductory
• Text, Pentice Hall.
• Laurie J Mullins (1999), Management and Organisational Behaviour,
• Prentice HallS Robbins (2003), Essentials of Organisational Behaviour, Prentice Hall International, 4th edition
Unit 4 Operations Management in Business
• S Brown et al (2000), Strategic Operations Management, Butterworth Heinemann.
• L Galloway L et al (2000), Operations Management in Context, Butterworth-Heinemann.
• J Heizer and B Render (2003), Operations Management, Prentice Hall. N Slack et al (2000), Operations Management, Pitman.
• D L Waller D L (1999), Operations Management — A Supply Chain Approach, Thompson.
Unit 5 Customer Relationship Management
• K Anderson and C Kerr (2001) Customer Relationship Management, McGraw-Hill
• F Buttle (2008), Customer Relationship Management: Concepts and Technologies, 2nd
• Edition, Butterworth-Heinemann.
• Harvard Business Review on Customer Relationship Management (2001), Harvard Business School Press.
Unit 8 Company Law
• S Barber (2001), Company Law: Textbook, Old Bailey Press. I Brown et al (2000), Commercial Law, Butterworth.
• S Judge (1998), Business Law.
• L Mead (1995), Practical Company Law: An Introductory Text, Elm Publications.
• G Morse et al (1999), Charlesworth & Morse Company Law, Sweet & Maxwell, 1999. M Ottley (2002), Briefcase on Company Law, Cavendish.
• F Rose (2001), Nutshells Company Law, Sweet & Maxwell.
• Smith and Keenan (2000), Advanced Business Law, Prentice Hall.
Unit 9 Human Resource Development
M Armstrong (2001), A Handbook of Human Resource Practice, Kogan Page.
BPP — Business Basics: Human Resource Management 2nd Edition (BPP Publishing, London,
M Corbridge and S Pilbeam S (1998) Employment Resourcing, FT Prentice Hall.
R Dransfield, S Howkins, F Hudson and Davies W (1996), Human Resource Management for
Higher Awards, Heinemann, 1996.
M Foot, C and Hook (2002), Introducing Human Resource Management 3rd Edition, FT Prentice Hall, Harlow.
D Torrington L Hall and S Taylor (2002), Human Resource Management 5th Edition (FT Prentice Hall, Harlow.
Unit 13 Personal Development
• J Adair and M Allen (2003), Time Management and Personal Development, Thorogood, C Evans (2008), Time Management for Dummies,John Wiley and Sons.
• D Megginson and V Whitaker (2007), Continuing Professional Development, 2nd Edition,
• Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development,
• M Pedler, J Burgoyne and T Boydell (2006) A Manager’s Guide to Self-Development,
• 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Professional
Unit 14 Marketing Principles for Managers
• G Armstrong et al (2009), Marketing: An Introduction, Financial Times/Prentice Hall, P Baines, C Fill and K Page (2008), Marketing, Oxford University Press.
• J Blythe (2008), Essentials of Marketing, 4th Edition, Financial Times/Prentice Hall.
• D Grewel and M Levy (2007), Value-Based Marketing, McGraw-Hill Higher Education,
• D Jobber (2009), Principles and Practice of Marketing, 6th Edition, McGraw-Hill Higher
• R Kerin et al (2006), Marketing, McGraw-Hill.
• P Kotler et al (2010), Principles of Marketing, 5th Edition Financial Times/Prentice Hall. M Levens (2009), Marketing (Pearson Education.
• W F Pride and O C Ferrell (2007), Marketing, Houghton Mifflin.
• M R Solomon et al (2009), Marketing: Real People, Real Decisions, Financial
• Times/Prentice Hall, 2009.
• N T Wood (2010), Marketing in Virtual Worlds, Prentice Hall
L6 Diploma in Business and Management Studies
Unit 1 Economics for Business
Suggested Reading list
• Alan Griffiths & Stuart Wall (2011), Economics for Business, 3rd edition, Pearson.
• Sytse Douma & Hein Schreuder (2008), Economic approaches to organisations, 4th edition, Person
• Joseph Nellish & David Parker (2006), Principles of Business economics, 2nd edition, Pearson.
• Mcaleese (2004), Economics for business: Competition, Macro-stability and Globalisation, Pearson.
• Brian Atkinson & Robert Miller (1998), Business Economics, Pearson.
• John Sloman, Essential of Economics, Prentice Hall
• John Sloman & Mark Sutcliffe (2007), Economics for Business, FT/Prentice Hall
Unit 2 Integrated Marketing Communication
Suggested Reading List
• Chris Fill (2001), Marketing Communications: context, strategies and applications, Financial Times/ Prentice Hall; 3 edition
• David Picton (2004), Integrated marketing communications, Financial Times/ Prentice Hall; 2 edition
• Dan Steinbock (2000), The Birth of Internet marketing communications, Quorum Books
• Richard J. Varey (2002), Principles and practice, Routledge
• Douglas West (2010), Strategic marketing: Creating competitive advantage
• Abbass F Alkhafaji (2003) Strategic management: formulation, implementation and control in a dynamic environment, Routledge
• Paul Dobson, Ken Starkey, John Richards (2004), Strategic management: issues and cases, Wiley-Blackwell
• George E Luffman, Edward Lea, Brian Kenny (1996), Strategic management: an analytical introduction, Wiley-Blackwell
• Colin White (2004), Strategic management, Palgrave Macmillan
Unit 3 Principles of Strategic Management
• Tony Morden (2007), Principles of strategic management, 3rd edition, Ashgate Publishing, Ltd
• Paul Joyce & Adam Woods (2001), Strategic Management: A fresh approach to developing skills knowledge and creativity, Kogan Page Series
• David Hussey (1998), Strategic Management: from theory to implementation, Butterworth-Heinemann
Unit 4 Managing in Organisation
• L Mullins,(2004), Management and Organisational Behaviour Pearson Higher Education
• R Daft (2006) Organizational Theory and Design South-Western College Publishing
Unit 5 Business Research
• Alan Bryman, Emma Bell (2011), Business research methods, 3rd edition, OUP Oxford
• M. N. K. Saunders, et al (2009) Research methods for business students 5th edition,
• Financial Times/Prentice Hall
• J Gill and P Johnson, (2010) Research methods for managers. 4th edition. London, Sage
Unit 6 Employment Law
• Norman Selwyn (2019, )Selwyn’s Law of Employment, OUP Oxford; 16 edition
• David Lewis, Malcolm Sargent, Ben Schwab (2011), Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development; 11 edition
• Tony Dundon, Derreck Rollinson (2011), McGraw-Hill Higher Education; 2 edition
• Richard Kidner (2011), Blackstone’s Statutes on Employment Law 2011-2012
Unit 7 Customer Service for Managers and Supervisors
• Gordon A Lippit, Peter Langseth, Jack Mossop (1985), Implementing organizational change, Jossey-Bass
• Donald Kirkpatrick (1985), How to manage change effectively, Jossey-Bass,
Unit 9 Managing innovation in an organisational change
• Joseph Tidd, J R Bessant, Keith Pevitt (1997) Managing innovation: integrating technological, market, and organizational change, Wiley
• Alan Afuah (2003), Innovation management: strategies, implementation and profits Oxford University Press,
• Giselle Rampasad (2009), Innovation management, VDM Verlag
Unit 10 Law of tort
• Emily Finch & Stefan Fanfiski (2010) Law Express: Tort Law (revision), Pearson, 3rd edition
• Nicholas MacBride & Roderick Bragshaw (2008), Tort Law, Pearson, 3rd edition.
• CCQHErine Elliot & Francess Quinn (2011) Tort Law, Pearson.
• Kirsty Horsey & Ericka Rackey (2011), Tort Law, OUP Oxford, 3rd edition.
Unit 11 European Union Law
• Damian Chalmers, Gareth Davies and Giorgio Monti (2010), European Union Law: Cases and Materials. Cambridge University Press; 2nd edition
• Josephine Steiner (Author), Lorna Woods (Author), EU Law, OUP Oxford; 10th edition
• Paul Craig (Author), Gráinne de Búrca (Author (2011), OUP Oxford; 5th edition
• Nigel Foster (2011), Blackstone’s EU Treaties and Legislation 2011-2012, 22nd edition, OUP Oxford
Unit 12 Public Law
• Mark Elliott and Robert Thomas (2011), Public Law, OUP Oxford
• Hilaire Barnett (2009), Understanding Public Law, 1st edition, Routledge-Cavendish
• Lisa Webley and Harriet Samuels (2009), Complete Public Law: Text, Cases, and Materials, OUP Oxford;
• David Feldman QC FBA (Editor) (2009), English Public Law (Oxford Principles of English Law),
OUP Oxford; 2 edition
• Robert G. Lee (Editor) (2011), Blackstone’s Statutes on Public Law and Human Rights 2011-2012,
21st edition, OUP Oxford
L7 Diploma in Management Studies
Unit 1 Operations Management
• Slack S, Chambers S, Johnston R, & Betts A. (2006). Operations and Process Management, Prentice Hall
• Operations Management Course Reader (2006). Pearson Publishers
• Meredith J & Shafer S. (2006). Operations Management for MBAs, 3rd edition, John Wiley & Sons
• Meredith J. & Mantel S. (2003). Project Management, A managerial approach, 5th edition, John Wiley & Sons
Unit 2: People in Organisations
• J Bratton, (2007) Work and Organisational Behaviour. Palgrave
• S Robbins, (2005) Organisational Behaviour, Pearson
• D Rollinson, (2008) Organisational Behaviour and Analysis 4th edition FT Prentice Hall
Unit 3: International Marketing Strategy
• Czinkota Michael R. and Ronkainen Ilkka A. (2007), International Marketing, South Western College; International ed edition
• Wilson R. and Gilligan C. (2004), Strategic Marketing Management: Planning, Implementation and Control, 3rd edition, Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann
• Baker Michael J. (2007), Marketing Strategy and Management, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
• Burca Sean De, Fletcher Richard and Brown Linden (2004), International Marketing: An SME Perspective, Harlow: Financial Times Prentice Hall
• Doole Isobel and Lowe Robin (2004), International Marketing Strategy: Analysis, Development and Implementation, New York: Thomson
• Ghauri Pervez and Cateora Philip (2006), International Marketing, Second Edition, London: McGraw-Hill
Unit 4: Contemporary Strategic Management
• Johnson, G. & Scholes, K. Exploring Strategy: texts and cases, 9th Ed.
• Lynch, R. (2005) Corporate Strategy, 3rd Ed., Financial Times, Prentice Hall
• Mazzucato, M. (Ed.). (2002) Strategy for Business: a reader, Sage
• Mullins, L. (2005) Management and Organizational Behaviour, 7th Ed., Financial Times, Prentice Hall.
• Segal-Horn (Ed.). (2004) The Strategy Reader, 2nd Ed., Blackwell
Unit 5: Management of Change
• Cameron, E. & Green, M. (2009) Making Sense of Change Management: A Complete Guide to the Techniques of Organisational Change
• Carnall, C. A. (2003) Managing Change in Organisations, Harlow: FT/Prentice Hall
• Stacey, R.D. (2003) Strategic Management and Organisational Dynamics, Harlow: Pearson Education Ltd
Unit 6 Financial Decision Making
• JR Dyson, (2010), Accounting for Non-Accounting Students, FT Prentice Hall
• Financial Decision Making Course Reader, 2006: Pearson Publishers.
• Drury, C., (2004). Management and Cost Accounting, 6th edition, Thomson Learning.
• Horngren, C.T., et. al., (2005), Management and Cost Accounting, 3rd edition, Pearson Education Ltd.
• Weetman, P., (2003), Financial & Management Accounting, 3rd edition, Pearson Education Ltd.