Level 5 Diploma in Business and Management 120 Credit
Equivalent to year 2 of a 3 year UK honours degree
The Level 5 Diploma in Business (QCF) (L5DB) makes up the second year of the CQHE Education degree journey and builds upon the knowledge gained during the CQHE Education Level 4 Diploma in Business (QCF). Exposing you to greater detail and more advanced topics in a range of areas including economics, marketing, finance and management.
You will study a balance of academic and vocational subjects in order to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to play a significant role in business organisations.
On successful completion of the qualification you will be able to complete the final year of a degree at one of the many universities that recognise CQHE Education qualifications, or pursue a career in the business industry.
For entry onto the CQHE Education L5DB qualification you must have at least one of the following:
- CQHE Education Level 4 Diploma in Business (QCF) (L4DB).
- A local or international qualification which is deemed to be of a similar level to the CQHE Education L4DB
qualification. This must be agreed with CQHE Education in advance.
If you’re a potential student whose first language is not English, you will need to obtain a valid score of 5.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination or equivalent. Alternatively, take the free CQHE Education English Placement Test, which is administered by our Accredited Partner Centres.
You must study the following eight core units:
- Business Economics – examines how an organisation can achieve its objectives most efficiently through the application of micro-economic theory and the tools of analysis of decision science, such as statistics and quantitative methods. It demonstrates how economic analysis can be used in formulating business policies.
- Advanced Business – provides an understanding of how a number of statistical and techniques are applied in economic and business decision-making.
- Marketing in Business – highlights the need for managers to view the role of marketing as critical to their organisation. The crucial role of marketing in contributing to the success of organisations is emphasised.
- Human Resources in Business – explores the dynamic role of human resource management policies and practices in contemporary organisations and their contribution to the goals of those organisations. It defines and critically examines the major philosophies, policies, procedures and practices related to the management of human resources.
- Understanding Consumer Behaviour – provides an understanding of customers’ needs and the complexity of the decision making process customers undertake in both consumer and industrial markets.
- Principles of Business Operations – explores the operations management function and its basis in creating and sustaining effective and efficient operations which deliver the products or services in a manner which achieves the objectives of the organisation. You will analyse this with respect to cost, quality, flexibility, dependability and speed.
- Financial Management – builds on your knowledge of fundamental financial concepts in financial and management accounting by considering the applications of these topics in a business environment and by examining a set of more advanced issues.
- Information Systems and Organisations – introduces you to the subject of information systems and technology in organisations, taking a broad management perspective. You will gain an understanding of the current and future role of information systems in modern organisations, including an appreciation of the social, cultural and political aspects that are important to the successful adoption of technology.
Assessments for all units are offered in a number of assessment cycles throughout the year. All units are assessed by either examination or assignments.
On successful completion of CQHE Education’s Level 5 Diploma in Business (QCF), you will have acquired a critical understanding of the established principles of business and management and developed new skills relevant to the business industry. You will also gain a breadth of knowledge in business and be able to successfully implement your skills in further study or in a professional role within the business industry.
Successful completion allows students onto CQHE Education’s final year top-up qualification in Business (further entry requirements may apply), or to a third year of many UK university degree courses, or enables you to pursue a career in the business industry.